This week, Filton celebrated its 10th anniversary since its doors opened and the first departments moved into the centre.
Director of Blood Donation, Mike Stredder and Director of Manufacturing and Logistics, Greg Methven attended the ceremony and marked the occasion by cutting the a Filton cake, baked by the very talented Diane Bent who is a BMS Specialist in Filton Testing.
Head of Centre, Daryl Hall said:
“Our very own ‘Star Baker’ Diane Bent, rose to the challenge perfectly capturing the essence of the building and the work we do here. It was great to see so many people able to attend the event to celebrate this important milestone. The cake was SCRUMMY!”
- Stem Cell Immunotherapies (SCI) and Procurement were the first two departments to move in to Filton in September 2008. Manufacturing and Testing followed shortly in November the same year.
- Testing now handle over a million samples a year, with approximately 12 million samples handled in Filton to date.
- Manufacturing processed over 250,000 donations in their first year, peaking at over 800,000 in 2012/13, we now process over 600,000 a year. Over 9 million donations have handled and processed since Filton opened.
- Red Cell Immunohematology (RCI) performed over 10,000 crossmatches between April 2009 and March 2018, increasing their activity by 35% in the last 9 years with no change in staffing.
- In June 2017, the Eye Bank relocated from the Royal Eye Infirmary in Bristol to Filton, following a £1 million investment in our state of the art facility. In the Eye bank’s first year, they processed over 1,400 donations and issued 2,000 corneas.
- HR Direct based themselves at Filton in November 2013, initially responding to all HR queries from our employees across the NHSBT. In February 2016, HR Direct expanded its offering handling all recruitment, organisational workforce development, health, safety and wellbeing and pay and reward queries. HR Direct handle an average of 80 queries per day.